This page contains information about the following topics:
- Covered Expenses
- Available Funding
- Eligibility Requirements
- How to Apply
- Frequently Asked Questions
- We Want to Hear How This Program Has Helped You!
- Benefits and Taxable Income
- Contact Information
- Program Support
- Other Helpful Resources
To access this page in Spanish, click here.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is committed to helping patients access their treatment in a timely manner so, in partnership with Moppie’s Love, the Urgent Need Program was created.
The Urgent Need Program funds provide eligible patients with assistance for non-medical expenses including rent, mortgage, lodging, utilities, childcare, elder care, food, transportation, car repair, car insurance, phone service, and acute dental work related to treatment. Eligible patients will receive a grant of $500, once within a 12 month period. At the end of the 12 month period, healthcare professionals can reapply on behalf of patients.
If a fund is listed as Open, please visit the How to Apply section to apply.
If a fund is listed as Fully Subscribed, it is at maximum capacity, serving those enrolled, and is no longer accepting applications.
Please note: Changes to funds are reflected on this webpage as quickly as possible. For up-to-the-minute fund status, please call (877) 557-2672. If you started an application prior to a fund becoming fully subscribed, please continue with the application.
- (Open) Urgent Need, Pediatric, Adolescent and Young Adult Fund, serves pediatric, adolescent and young adult blood cancer patients (birth to 39 years of age) who are in acute financial need.
- (Fully Subscribed) Urgent Need, Adult Fund, in partnership with Charlie’s Fund, serves adult blood cancer patients (40+ years of age) who are in acute financial need.
**As a non-profit organization, we rely on the generosity of our sponsors. Program continuation is dependent on the availability of funds and the program could be modified or discontinued at any time if funding is limited or no longer available.**
To be eligible for either of the Urgent Need Program funds, the patient must:
- Be a pediatric or young adult (birth to 39 years of age) patient OR be an adult (40+ years of age) patient.
- Have a household income that is at or below 600 percent of the U.S. federal poverty guidelines as adjusted by the Cost of Living Index (COLI). You will be asked for the patient’s zip code to determine their COLI.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or U.S. territory.
- Have a blood cancer diagnosis confirmed by the care team
- Demonstrated acute financial need, as defined by the program covered expenses
- Patients may be insured or uninsured
Please note that applications are only accepted by members of the patient’s healthcare team. LLS offers healthcare team members two easy ways to apply on behalf of a patient:
- By Phone: (877) 557-2672
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Online: Online portal
24/7, Available in English only
Please note: There is a separate portal for the Co-Pay Assistance Program.
If you are a patient in need of assistance, please have a member of your healthcare team contact LLS directly to apply on your behalf.
HEALTHCARE TEAM MEMBER MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING TO APPLY:
- DIRECT ACCESS TO THE PATIENT’S MEDICAL RECORDS TO ATTEST TO THEIR DIAGNOSIS
- A VALID NPI NUMBER WHETHER APPLYING ON THE PORTAL OR BY PHONE
Healthcare team members may include:
If this is your first time visiting the Urgent Need Portal, you will need to register before you can start the online application.
To Register: To register you’ll need the following provider information:
- Healthcare provider’s email address
- Healthcare provider/Facility’s tax ID*
- Healthcare provider/Facility’s National Provider Identifier (NPI)*
Once you submit your registration, you'll receive an email (typically within five minutes) directing you to a website to create your password. You can then begin entering your application information.
*Healthcare providers without a tax ID or NPI should use that of the primary facility/provider.
To Apply: You'll need the following patient information:
- Patient’s Social Security Number and date of birth
- If patient is a minor (under the age of 18), patient AND guardian’s Social Security Numbers and date of birth are required.
- Patient's name, address, phone number
- Patient's diagnosis
- Patient's household financial income
This information will not be shared and is for verification purposes only.
For portal technical support: Please call us at (877) 557-2672 or e-mail FinancialAssistance@LLS.org.
We would love to hear how the financial assistance provided by LLS has helped you. Patient stories help us illustrate the impact and importance of this program in the lives of blood cancer patients.
To submit a story by mail, please send to:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Patient Financial Assistance Programs
3 International Drive, Suite 200, Rye Brook, NY 10573
Thank you for sharing!
As a charity, LLS is exempt from federal income tax and individuals who receive assistance from a charity to meet their personal needs do not generally have to pay federal income tax on the value of the assistance they receive. With this being said it should not affect their ability to receive financial assistance from the government or affect their income taxes.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Urgent Need Program
P.O. Box 12268
Newport News, VA 23612
Toll Free Phone: (877) 557-2672
Fax: (866) 808-3793
Live Chat is not available for the Urgent Need Program assistance.
LLS is a nonprofit organization that relies on the generosity of individual, foundation and corporate contributions to advance its mission. The Urgent Need Program is supported by:
- Charlie’s Fund
- Genentech, Inc. & Biogen
- Gerald Kafka and Rita Cavanagh
- Moppie’s Love
- The W. O’Neil Foundation
- Wrobel Family Foundation